The qualifications for a member of the Board of Education are that the individual:
1. must be able to read and write;
2. must be a qualified voter of the District; that is, a citizen of the United States, at least 18 years of age or older, and not adjudged to be an incompetent, (Note: a convicted felon is barred from running for a seat on a Board of Education if his or her maximum prison sentence has not expired or if he or she has not been pardoned or discharged from parole);
3. must be and have been a resident of the School District for at least one year prior to election;
4. may not have been removed from any School District office within the preceding year;
5. may not reside with another member of the same school board as a member of the same family;
6. may not be a current employee of the School District; and
7. may not simultaneously hold another incompatible public office.